Well, last night was a traumatizing night for me & my little family. I think it started off as really exciting for Ellie - but in the end, she was probably traumatized/confused.
On these nice spring days/nights, we keep the back door open so Ellie can wander in and out of the house into the backyard. She loves being outside. I thought it was a little weird last night that she didn't come in while we were eating (she's become quite the beggar). I checked on her, and she was just laying in the grass. Odd. We went back out about 15 min later, still laying in the grass. Looked guilty. We walked to where she was, knowing the truth before we got there - she was eating something bad. And it was a squirrel.
I was instantly disgusted, scared and horrified. I yelled at her to get inside! She was like, WTF? But she was scared...probably because both B and I were projecting anxiety & HORROR (Cesar would not approve). She goes in, and we go in to fashion something to throw this thing out. B is making his dustpan/stick combo when - she proceeds to puke up squirrel guts on the ONLY RUG IN OUR LIVING ROOM. More screaming, Ellie is pushed outside where she vomits 2 more times. At this point, I'm about to vomit. B really stepped up to take care of this - he could see I was about to lose it. He was able to get most of it up with paper towels, it was more chunky than liquidy (awesome visual). He then went out to discard the squirrel carcass while I got out our Bissell Little Green. I filled it with A LOT of soap/cleanser, sprayed the crap out of the 2 spots on the rug and let it sit. Helped B wash off the deck vomit, wouldn't allow Ellie inside still and then cleaned the carpet with the Little Green. I don't think anything will convince me it's clean - I wish I could've just poured bleach on it.
Finally, a bit calmer, we let Ellie back in. She tried to get on couch - no way! I wanted nothing to do with this dog! I realize that we needed to bathe her in order for me to ever touch her again. So we did. Then I proceeded to bleach/clean my tub for 30 minutes, until my lungs started burning.
So, the night, which probably started out on a great note for Ellie (finally caught/or am able to get to a squirrel! Food!) ended traumatically for her. She hates baths. :) And she knew we were upset.
The remainder of the night I spent wondering if my little angel puppy was now a ravenous killer. Why would she do this? Is she still going to be nice to B's sister's cat? Is she a murderer for life now? Did she actually CATCH the squirrel? Do we need to take her to the vet? Luckily, we texted a friend of ours in vet school who said she will probably just have an upset tummy. She's acting normal today - she doesn't seem like a killer. It's going to be hard to remember that she is still this little innocent creature now:
All I can picture now is a murderous, hunting, psychopath dog. Who knows what she is thinking/plotting here...
"When mom gets this camera out of my face, I will go outside and stalk my prey."
And perhaps this wasn't the picture of a friend "hugging" another - but a dominant predator picking out her prey.
Watch out Harry!!
**disclaimer** Harry's her boyfriend, as long as he doesn't cheat, I think he's safe. ;)
1 comment:
Harry says he doesn't cheat...he only tries to hump Hudson, but that just makes him gay, not a cheater! ;)
Post a Comment